The latest batch of beer is looking great! can’t wait for it to be done!
Beer is one of the oldest alcoholic beverages known to man. The ancient Babylonians were the first ones to brew beer. These ancient folks took beer brewing so seriously that if you brewed a “bad” batch the punishment for creating this is death by drowning, in beer that you have created! Here are more fun and unbelievable things you need to know about beer:
- Do you know that history is full of beer experiences and possibly the most significant is that the pilgrims on the Mayflower discontinued their quest to Virginia and had to stop at Plymouth Rock? Apparently the pilgrims have run out of beer.
- Beer does not just make you happy but it could also cause a disaster. In 1814 a brewery in London was responsible for 9 deaths and two houses demolished to the ground. A large beer brewery tank gave way causing about 3,500 barrels of beer pouring into the streets of London Parish.
- There is a better way to store beer. For beer bottles, store the beer upright to reduce oxidation and contamination of the cap. Therefore, beer will taste better when beer is stored upright in the fridge.
- Beer falls into two categories: ales and lagers. Ales are products of yeast fermenting at higher temperatures causing it to stay on the surface of the brew. You may have tasted Pale Ale, Porter, Stout, Blonde, IPA, Amber, Belgian Ale and Hefeweizen which are all ales. Lagers on the other hand are beers that have been fermented in lower temperatures and hence do not float on the surface of the brew. Pilsner, Helles, Doppelbok and Dunket are the most popular ales that you may have tasted before.
- Do you know that some beer drinkers suffer from what is called cenosillicaphobia or the fear of an empty glass? This may be the reason why most beer drinkers drink till they drop! But then, not all beer drinkers are the same; so take time to enjoy beer since it took time to brew as well!