With fewer than 500 bottles available worldwide Deanson 40 Highland Single Malt has been aged for 40 years with the last 10 years in Orsolo.
So you think you know what Scotch is? There are some things that you may have never realized about Scotch; you may have never remembered your first Scotch whisky but you will certainly agree that there is so much to this drink that you may have never thought of. Here are some of them:
- Not all whisky is Scotch although all Scotch is whisky – whisky made from Scotland is legally called Scotch whisky. This term is used to protect fine whisky made only from Scotland. According to Scottish law, Scotch whisky has to be distilled and stored in oak barrels for three years. There are other varieties of whisky; there are Japanese and Irish whiskies that are brewed with single malts.
- Old whisky does not mean it’s better – in the case of whisky, the maturation of the drink is what matters; it does not mean that the older the brew the better it tastes. And when it comes to maturing Scotch only the best casks will do; the better the wood that the casks are made of, the smoother and delectable the flavor would be.
- Is there a suitable glass to drink Scotch whisky from? – according to experts, Scotch that is drank from a tulip-shaped or a glass that allows vapors of the Scotch to move up is the best way to drink it. Appreciate the flavor first so you can fill your senses with delicious aroma before you take a sip.
- How to drink Scotch? – together with friends of course! But if you want to savor the flavor, take a small sip, chew the liquid or keep it in your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing. Taking a deep breath before you sip will also improve the flavor.
- To add water or ice? – both will actually create a chemical reaction that will push the heavier alcohol and allow the light ones to surface. Water and ice will also dilute the Scotch. But of course drinking Scotch whisky will all depend on your personal preference in the end.
If you have tasted bourbon, Scotch, Rye and Irish alcoholic beverages then you may already know the difference between these liquors. If not, then follow our guide to enjoying these different alcoholic beverages:
- Bourbon is whiskey that has been distilled from corn mash. The result is smooth, strong and very unique blend of flavor that you will savor drop after drop.
- Scotch whiskey is specially brewed in Scotland. Scotch is also expertly brewed from malted barley. A prominent law in Scotland protects the production of Scotch; the law prohibits the use of additives or chemicals and it only allows Scotch whiskey to be brewed in oak barrels with a specific capacity.
- Rye is a whiskey that is distilled from a rye mash. The flavor is distinct and very strong which is why it is preferred by whiskey drinkers who love a strong blend
- Irish whiskey is a type of whiskey that is brewed and distilled from Ireland.
There may be a kind of whiskey that you are quite fond of or you most certainly enjoy more than any other types. A true whiskey drinker tries each one type to be able to find the best for his distinguished taste. Drinking whiskey is not merely drinking with friends or enjoying your favorite blend but it is all about savoring the flavor and the delicious crisply brewed malt and getting an idea on the best type for any kind of occasion.
There is only one way to enjoy whiskey on the other hand and that is to use a glass made just for drinking flavorful liquor. A glass with a narrow opening is the ideal drinking instrument; this allows flavors to gather on the edge of the drink and to slowly settle on your senses just before you take the first sip. Most who admire the different types of whiskies agree that savoring the taste and the smell of whisky is a must for each kind so take time to sniff before you sip and guaranteed that you will taste the best whiskey every time.